In contrast to the slow, uncertain ‘bullock cart’ theological path to God, Kriya may justly be called the ‘airplane’ route.” – Paramhansa Yogananda
What is Kriya Yoga?
Kriya Yoga is an ancient meditation technique brought to the west by Paramhansa Yogananda, by which we can have a direct intuitive experience of God as our own true Self.
In Chapter 26 of his Autobiography of a Yogi, Yogananda describes Kriya Yoga as:
“…a simple, psychophysiological method by which the human blood is decarbonized and recharged with oxygen. The atoms of this extra oxygen are transmuted into life current to rejuvenate the brain and spinal centers… A yogi who faithfully follows its technique is gradually freed from karma or the universal chain of causation.” (1946 Edition), Chapter 26
Kriya yoga includes four core techniques and a variety of supportive practices. Kriya yoga, however, is more than technique: it is a lifestyle that includes an attitude of discipleship. At Ananda, no organizational affiliation is required to take kriya initiation, though participation in Ananda which serves the work of Babaji and the kriya yoga lineage is encouraged.
These are learned step-by-step through a seven month long process of training, study, and practice. There are also supportive and preparatory techniques given as part of the training.
How can I learn Kriya Yoga?
Here are the steps to learn the art and science of Kriya.
- Raja Yoga Intensive 3 month course. Learn Hong Sau meditation, Energization Exercises and core philosophy (Some students may be eligible to skip this step. Please inquire.)
- Kriya Yoga Preparation – Segments 1 and 2
- Kriya Yoga Preparation – Segment 3
- Study the precepts of discipleship – included in Kriya Yoga Preparation (“KP”) Segment 1
- Learn the Energization Exercises – included in Raja Yoga and KP Segment 1
- Learn Navi Kriya and Maha Mudra techniques – in KP Segment 2
- Study the life of Paramhansa Yogananda – included in KP Segment 2.
- Take discipleship initiation – included at the end of KP Segment 2.
- Learn the Aum meditation technique at the beginning of KP Segment 3.
- Kriya Interview – takes place near the end of KP Segment 3.
- Take initiation into Kriya Yoga following completion of KP Segment 3.