- This event has passed.
ONLINE: Satsang with Swami Kriyananda: Hope for a Better World
January 6, 2021 @ 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm PST
Wednesday, January 6, 7 to 8 p.m. $10, online on Zoom
The inspired practicality of Kriyananda’s model of small communities actually runs counter to some of the most entrenched paradigms in Western thought. Hope For a Better World by Swami Kriyananda presents the idea of small-communities in the context of a sweeping revision of Western philosophy. Our discussion of this thought-provoking book willinclude topics such as…
* How the vision of small communities threads the needle between unrealistic utopic visions, on the one hand, and grim realistic predictions about a future of hunger and war on the other.
* How Copernicus’ re-discovery that the “earth orbits the sun” set into motion today’s doubts as to whether there is any center to the universe! Kriyananda points out that this potentially leaves us–you and I, and each atom of creation–as the center!
* How Machiavelli’s leadership model, based on the claim that the end justifies the means, leads to disaster while leadership by example and from a position of high principles and service to others leads to success.
* How some of the most respected theories and philosophies in the Western canon as expressed by the likes of Plato, Sartre, Marx and Hegel defy common sense and should be tested by practical means.
* How Adam Smith’s argument for free enterprise based on material self-interest leads to decreased happiness unless that self-interest can be expanded to include the greater good.
* How Hegel’s dialectical method of thesis, antithesis, synthesis is static and promotes conflict, while Kriyananda’s method of action, reaction, interaction fosters cooperation.
* How Darwinian evolution is, at bottom, a mechanical model which omits the equally valid possibility of an intelligent impulse toward greater awareness.
Bruce and Dr. Rebecca Davis will share with you on Zoom the fascinating, revolutionary and practical insights that form the basis for Paramhansa Yogananda’s clarion call for the establishment of small communities and for his prediction that one day they would “spread like wildfire!”