- This event has passed.
ONLINE: Road Less Travelled – The Path of Yoga in a Turbulent Time
September 9 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
4 Wednesdays: September 9, 16, 23, 30; 7 to 8 p.m. $45, Online on Zoom
What turbulent times we live in. What’s ahead for us, our nation, our world? The universal and timeless teachings of Vedanta and the related practices of yoga are always relevant but never more so in the context of human history as we understand it. In this four-week conversation, we will explore the role of yoga in the history of our times.
Self-realization (as Yogananda termed the goal of the timeless teachings of India, known by their indigenous name, Sanaatan Dharma) is described as a state of consciousness beyond “the affairs of men” but the path to it is very much individual AND historical. Paramhansa Yogananda, author of the now-famous classic story, “Autobiography of a Yogi,” shares the revelation of his teacher (guru), Swami Sri Yukteswar, in regards to the unfolding drama of history in our times. This revelation turns upside down the hypotheses of modern historians and provides the context for deeper understanding.
Does God participate in history? To the testimony of prophets down through ages, Paramhansa Yogananda avers that it is so. Yogananda, moreover, gave his own warnings and view of future events.
Here are some of the topics we hope to share and discuss:
- How various great spiritual teachers appeared down through history to correct, warn, and guide humanity. including Krishna, Buddha, Patanjali, Jesus Christ, Adi Shankyacharya, Chaitanya, Babaji and others.
- The significance and timing in history of the rise of reason, stoicism, natural philosophy and humanism.
- The conflict between natural science and theology, between experience and belief.
- The science of religion and consciousness.
- The meaning of meaningless in the 19th and 20th century.
- Gender equality, feminism …. LGBT: are we confused? Is there a spiritual significance?
- The significance of quantum entanglement and the observer effect in scientific experiments
- Does the loss of 95% of cosmic matter really matter? What does it mean for us?
- What came before the Big Bang? What is the point of singularity inside a Black Hole?
- Are you a particle? Or a wave?
- Is the ego destroyed in cosmic consciousness?
- Is Buddhism atheistical? Is Shankhya philosophy atheistical?
- Do we get only one life or do we reincarnate? Who and what reincarnates?
- Do I need a guru?
- Climate change? Pandemics? What next? And, why? Will peace be restored?
- What can I do about chaos, uncertainty, fear, hatred and violence?
- Should I be protesting? If so, for what, exactly? And, how? A revolution?
- What lies ahead for humanity? Destruction or renaissance?
Nayaswami Hriman will host this conversation which will include Nayaswami Padma and other Ananda teachers from Ananda Sangha in Seattle. The free-flowing conversation that we expect does not lend itself to specific, individual classes but it will be recorded; hence registration is for all four classes. References to specific texts will be given but those texts are optional for participants.