Meditation Teacher Training
5 weekends between March 25 & June 4, 2017;
Saturdays 9:30 am to 5:45 pm AND Sundays 1 – 5 pm.
Specific class dates: March 25 & 26; April 8 & 9; April 22 & 23; May 6 & 7; June 3 & 4
Cost: $750 + texts. (3-installment payment system available)
Meditation Teacher Training is an Ananda Teacher Training (AYYT) level 2 accredited course.
Whether you train to teach meditation, or simply to deepen your understanding and experience of meditation, this power-packed course is for you! This in-depth study of the stages of meditation, the techniques and attitudes for focusing the mind, relaxing the body and calming the emotions, will give you valuable tools to assist others with their meditation.
There are two core texts: “How to Meditate” by John Novak; and, “Awaken to Superconsciousness” by Swami Kriyananda. Students will also need the “Art and Science of Raja Yoga” but that comes with the foundation course, Raja Yoga Intensive discussed below.
This in-depth exploration of meditation includes practice and study of:
- 3-phases of meditation: relaxation, concentration, and expansion of awareness
- Core pranayams (breathing exercises), why and how to use them?
- The power of creative visualizations
- The effect and importance of chanting and mantra
- Art and science of observing the breath
- How to shift from “doing” to “being” in meditation
- What is the most important aspect of meditation?
8-Fold path of meditation
- Advanced techniques: where, when, how, and why?
- Quieting the mind
- Are beliefs necessary?
- Meditation for all reasons: from health to heaven!
- How to deal with the G-word?
- Review and practice of floor sitting and chair sitting positions
- Overcoming resistance, sleepiness, & other common challenges
- Art of interpreting meditative experiences
- How to awaken devotion?
- Counseling students
- Use of audio and visual aids in teaching
- How to lead a guided meditation
- Step by step meditation routines
- Places to teach
- Speaking techniques
- How to speak from inspiration
Prerequisites and Eligibility
To enroll or for more information contact Hriman McGilloway at 425-806-3700, or send us an email.
To be eligible to take Meditation Teacher Training you must be practicing meditation on a regular basis for at least one year. While most recognized meditation techniques are eligible, some of the training and discussions in the teacher training will focus on the breath awareness style taught by Ananda. In general however the topics are applicable to all core meditation styles.
The Meditation Teacher Training program requires completion of the raja segment of the Raja/Hatha Yoga Intensive before or during (in some cases, “after” is permissible) the teacher training courses. (See Raja Yoga at Ananda under OTHER LINKS to the left of this page.) Prior graduates of the Raja segment of the Raja Intensive may be eligible for a price adjustment according to the re-take policy in effect at time of enrolling in Meditation Teacher Training. Students taking the raja segment for credit in the Institute for Meditation Teacher Training pay a one-time documentation fee of $25 in addition to the advertised raja segment tuition cost of $265.00, and the Institute application fee of $50. (It is not necessary to take the hatha segment for those enrolled only in Meditation Teacher Training.) For more information on the Raja Yoga Intensive visit: http://www.anandawashington.org/classes/raja/
Successful completion requires attendance at all sessions. Excused absences may be excepted on a case-by-case basis. Inquire if you have a schedule conflict. (This course is offered only once a year and thus make-up sessions are an impractical solution.) Out of class commitments include reading of the texts, written homework, personal practice, a written outline of one of the texts, auditing and audit report on an Ananda meditation class series, take-home final and team presentation final. No admission after the first class.