In The Footsteps of the Masters: Pilgrimage to India
February 27 to March 17, 2013 | Optional extension to March 21
The Transforming Power of Pilgrimage
The blessings of pilgrimage, and the power of being in places blessed by saints, will change you and deepen you in ways you never would have thought possible.
“If you go to places where masters have lived, the vibrations there will quicken your realization. That is the value of pilgrimages to holy places. The masters’ divine vibrations are still there, just as strong as when they were physically present. Those who are in tune will feel that presence. But first, one has to meditate and prepare himself.”
“The benefit of pilgrimage to holy places is not because of their rich history, but for the fact that divine blessings can be experienced when visiting them. Their very soil is impregnated with a higher consciousness.”
This pilgrimage is not so much about sight-seeing and doing, as about being — being in a place of high spiritual vibration and learning to relax and open our heart to receive the blessings. Being together as a group in these holy spots reinforces their power and gives us access to places not available to individual travelers. Having someone else take care of all the travel logistics means you can concentrate on being a pilgrim!
- Group meditation, and yoga practice
- Meditations at the pilgrimage sites
- Enjoy the company of fellow pilgrims
- Calcutta: Yogananda’s boyhood home, and the home of his childhood friend, Tulsi Bose, both filled with the tangible blessings of their presence; Kali temple at Dakshineswar
- Serampore: Shrine on site of Sri Yukteswar’s Hermitage
- Puri: Meditate in Sri Yukteswar’s mandir, the place of his burial
- Delhi: Visit Ananda’s Ashram in Gurgaon & enjoy satsang with Ananda India devotees
- Varanasi: places associated with the life of Lahiri Mahasaya in India’s ancient and most holy city
- Vrindavan: The birthplace of Sri Krishna. We will visit the ashram of Keshabananda, advanced disciple of Lahari Mahasaya.
- Agra: The magnificent Taj Mahal
- Ananda Community near Pune: Swami Kriyananda will officiate at the Mahasamadhi celebrations in Ananda’s newest rural spiritual community!
- Babaji’s cave (optional extension): meditate in the cave where Babaji initiated Lahiri Mahasaya into Kriya in 1861. Located in the foothills of the Himalaya near the town of Ranikhet.
Ananda in Washington State, in cooperation with Ananda India, is organizing a pilgrimage to India in March of 2013. The journey will have special emphasis upon the life of Paramhansa Yogananda and the lives of those masters who sent him to the West from India. Nayaswamis Hriman and Padma McGilloway will lead the pilgrimage with assistance from Keshava and Daya Taylor, and other pilgrimage staff of Ananda India. Murali Venkatrao will also accompany us as special host & guide. We will also be blessed by honoring Paramhansa Yogananda and Swami Sri Yukteswar’s Mahasamadhis with Swami Kriyananda (health permitting) at Ananda Pune!
We begin the day with meditation. While in a bus to the holy spot of the day, we chant and tell stories. We meditate and pray upon arriving to the shrines. There are fun times, too, and times for shopping and sight-seeing, but the overall tone of the pilgrimages is inward; one of spiritual receptivity and meditation.
Pilgrims who come ready to receive inspiration will be changed from within. Leaving behind the preoccupations and duties of daily life, we will gain insights and experiences that will stay with us long after the pilgrimage is finished.
Pilgrimage begins and ends in Delhi. Cost of international flights is not included. We will soon make recommendations of flights for the convenience and coordination of everyone’s arrival and departures. More…
Accommodations, Meals, Transportation:
All hotels, restaurants, and menus have been personally inspected by Ananda. Accommodations will be in comfortable, not luxurious, hotels. They are clean and Western style. We’ve chosen a simpler guesthouse in Gurgaon because it is a short walk from the Ananda ashram, in a pleasant neighborhood. In other cities we will stay in larger full-service hotels, in the 3 or 4 star category. Buffet breakfasts and dinners include a variety of Indian, Western, and Asian dishes.
Travel within India will be by plane, and air-conditioned train or bus. Babaji’s cave optional extension includes two overnight train trips.
- All ground and air transportation in India, within the itinerary
- Accommodations in each destination
- Two meals per day, usually breakfast and dinner (three meals per day included on 6 of the days)
- All required tips and taxes
- Professional local guides, and tour leaders from Ananda
Price Does Not Include:
- Flight to and from India
- Passport and visa fees
- Travel insurance
- Excess baggage charges
- Most lunches
- Items of a personal nature – laundry, snacks, beverages other than those included with meals, room service.
- Any transportation outside of group activities
- Hotel telephone or internet
- Donations at shrines and to Yogananda’s family
- Medical care may you need it.
The total pilgrimage costs are shown below; they vary according to your choice of accommodations and the length of your stay. Prices are stated in U.S. dollars. We expect these prices to be final. They are based on current information. Only if there is a significant change in the exchange rate, cost of oil, or hotel costs before November 18, then the difference in price will be reflected in your final balance due.
The main pilgrimage is 18-nights, with an optional 4-night extension to the Himalaya & Babaji’s cave.
The 18-night stay includes: itinerary up and through the Taj Mahal in Agra, departing Sunday eve March 17 after a free day in Gurgaon.
The optional 4-night extension begins with the night of Sunday March 17 with travel to Ranikhet (6,132 ft. elevation in Himalaya), a visit to Babaji’s cave, and return to Delhi to depart for home on March 21.
Special note: If you book a shared room and you or your roommate decides to change to private accommodations, BOTH of you will need to pay the single occupancy rate (provided another room is available, of course). Also, if you request a shared accommodation but there is no one to share with you, you will need to pay the single occupancy rate.
|Length of stay||Main Pilgrimage – 18 nights
Cost per person
|Babaji’s cave – 4 night extension
cost per person
|Early Bird discounted amount
by September 15
|Single occupancy supplement
(No discount for supplement)
In order to reserve your space, please submit a deposit of $1,000 with your reservation form. More…
Please print out this form and mail
with your deposit or payment in full to:
Ananda, 23305 Bothell-Everett Hwy.,
Bothell, Washington 98021
We hope to share this blessed pilgrimage experience with you!